Sunday, August 4, 2013

things I love: real front porches

I am currently sitting on the front porch of my home for the month of August. (I would fill you in on my housing adventures, but I think I'll just wait until the TBD conclusion.) It is a real front porch with stairs and wood slats and pillars and room for chairs. I LOVE having a real front porch.

You could say it's always been a dream of mine to have a porch to hang out on. The house I lived in for the first 15 years of my life only had steps leading up to the door. And then we moved. And that house only had steps leading up to the door. And let's not even talk about my first apartment which didn't even have steps.

When I was really young I was so obsessed with porches that I would create Sims houses that were basically only porches. Like I'm talking wraparound decks on every single story. I was also 100% sure that i was going to live in a large house near the Target in Stow solely because it had a wraparound porch. It is now a fairly successful winery/restaurant and I doubt they are willing to sell. (Prime location though...they just built a Taco Bell next door.)

There are a few reasons for this life-long porch obsession.

1. I like nature, but I don't always want to be all up in its business. Sitting on a porch seems like a happy medium between never leaving your home and full on jungle exploration.

2. I am a bookworm and prime reading locations are vital to my existence. A prime reading location must be three things:
1. adorable
2. comfortable
3. within walking distance of a kitchen/coffee pot. And by "walking distance" I mean it should take me no more than 30 seconds to get there.
3. I'm nosy and what better way to spy on your neighbors than to sit in the front yard all day? Kidding (kind of)...but seriously, I like to know my neighbors and I sometimes I have romantic dreams about the "old days" when everyone just lived on their porches drinking lemonade and being best friends.

Also, porch swings. Sign me up.

I am pleased to say that having a front porch is living up to everything I ever dreamed it to be. Prior to this I was reading some Tim Keller that I can tell you very little about because my retention ability is nonexistent. But I do remember he said very wise things (typical) and I was enjoying it. And as I was reading, I was able to spy on approximately 7.5 new neighbors.

I am also being realistic though...I know that the future is uncertain and that this may be the only real front porch I ever get in my whole life. Which is why I plan to live on it for the next 25 days. Address your letters to me Harry Potter style. Caitlin Elmore, The Front Porch, 439 ....etc.


And to those of you who tell me  should blog more often...do you see now why I don't? My life is fairly uneventful and I have very few profound thoughts.Example: I just rambled about porches for a half hour. But, your wish is my command :)

Also, how many more times can I say "front porch?" Front porch. Front porch. Front porch.  

Up next week: an essay on how I feel about Anthropologie mugs. 

Not really. But I wouldn't be too surprised. 


2 comments:

  1. This post affirms why I believe we are kindered spirits.

    Example A:"I like nature, but I don't always want to be all up in its business."

    Example B:"within walking distance of a kitchen/coffee pot. And by "walking distance" I mean it should take me no more than 30 seconds to get there."

    Example C:"Harry Potter."

    See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy! Yes! I sense this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

      Delete