Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Afternoon Snack: Magnolia Cupcakes

President's Day is the lamest holiday. No disrespect meant to the 43 leaders we have had in this country (Yes, I know Obama is 44th, but Grover Cleveland was counted twice.), but really, there is no good way to celebrate President's day. This country should really come up with some solid President's Day traditions. Apparently Alexandria, Virginia has been holding what they call a "Birthright Ball" since the Revolution, in honor of George Washington's birthday. People dress in costume and eat period-inspired food (whatever that means) and dance in an 18th century type of way...I could get into that. But, for the average American it is just another day without mail...and I love mail.

When 3 o'clock hit yesterday and I fully realized there would be no mail, I decided I needed to do something to cheer myself up. Cupcakes were obviously the answer. From scratch. Because that's the way Martha Stewart would do it.

I have crazy respect for Martha Stewart. I remember reading an article about her childhood when I was younger. Her family was poor, so she made her own paper. Yep...she wanted a journal, so she just whipped up some paper. I aspire to be just like her except with a little more cultural relevancy and no jail sentence.

Here she is holding a cat:



So anyways, I got online and searched for a good basic cupcake recipe. Normally I try to get crazy with the flavors (maple syrup and bacon anyone?), but I was feeling a classic vanilla cupcake today. A lo and behold, Allysa Torey from Magnolia Bakery decided to be my fairy godmother and posted her famous vanilla cupcake recipe on Food Network's website. Oh happy day! And here I am to share it with you...because it was wonderful. 

Also, let me speak to the Magnolia v. Crumbs debate real quick. Easy: both. Why should we have to choose between two simply wonderful things?? I do have to admit though, no one does red velvet like Crumbs.

That said, here is the magic:

Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcake
yields: 24 (I actually got about 32 cupcakes out of this recipe)

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (if you don't have this, you can google ways to make your own by adding salt and baking powder)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.

In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter until smooth (medium setting on electric mixer.) Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but don't over beat. The batter will be on the fluffy side.

Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before icing.

Vanilla Buttercream Icing
This is SUPER sweet and will definitely make more icing than you need. Icing can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. 

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6-8 cups confectioners' sugar (I used six.)
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Place butter in mixing bowl and add 4 cups of sugar, milk, then vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining sugar one cup at a time, beating smooth between additions. 

I also added some red and yellow food coloring to make the icing light pink. 

Because perfect vanilla cupcakes should have light pink icing. 

But you can make your icing whatever color you want. No judgements. 


How cute is this stand Sydney just got as a gift?



I'm pretty sure I have a new favorite President's Day tradition.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment