Saturday, August 18, 2012

surprises and encouragement

Today I am thankful for a Lord who delights in me. He knows how to love me like no one else.

I love surprises, big or small.  It doesn't matter if I am given the surprise party of the century, or just an unexpected cup of coffee or letter from a friend, I love them all.

Honestly, it's not hard for God to surprise me. I don't know much of anything and most of my plans fall through. I remember when I was 13 I wrote that 21-year-old me would be a married teacher. Well, I am currently 22, single, and a campus missionary with a degree in graphic design, so that tells you how well I can plan my future.

God has surprised me in so many ways over the course of my 22 years of life, but few things have surprised me as much as who He has been using to help fund this new ministry He has given me. Nonbelievers, people who I've never even met, families with very little money themselves.  I am genuinely amazed at who God uses, how he uses them, and the overall generosity of others.

Today, I was feeling a little discouraged in general. I have been hanging around the same percentage for a few weeks and Fall Semester is starting soon, which means I will have less time to spend on fundraising for a little bit. I got home from work today and had two donations in my account from completely unexpected supporters. I felt God whispering into my heart: "Why are you trying to put limits on what you think is possible? Don't you trust me? Don't you know I love you? Have faith!"

God is using others to show me His love, and I feel joy knowing that my supporters will be blessed for their giving. Fundraising is really such a blessing, even on the hard days. I am thankful for a God who has given me this opportunity to build my faith muscle and grow my trust in Him. And I am thankful for a God who knows how to encourage me through surprising reminders of His love.

Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. - Psalm 63:3


No comments:

Post a Comment