Sunday, August 12, 2012

why "engraved"?

I have a list of verses in the front of my Bible that are what I guess you could call my "life verses." Just reminders of who God is, who I am, etc. Basically pieces of truth that cut deep into my heart. One of those verses is Isaiah 49:16.

See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me." 

 Ah. Engraved.

I am engraved on the palms of my Lord's hands. This is a simple reminder when I feel like God has forgotten me.

The word engraved is used 10 times in the Bible (NIV) and the word inscribed is used 6. "Engraved" is also used in the telling of God forming the ten commandments and the later part Exodus when the 12 stones are to represent the 12 tribes. In Job 19 the word engraved is used in conjunction with "forever."

Forever.

To engrave something is to make it permanent. Today we used engraving on awards, memorial pieces, gravestones, etc. You don't engrave something unless you want a reminder of it. "See, [Caitlin] I have engraved you on the palms of my hands." Forever. I will not be forgotten.

"Your walls are ever before me..." 

If you think about walls during the time of Isaiah, they were used as a form of protection for a city. My walls, my protection and safety, are ever before the Lord.

What a joy it is to be engraved on the hands of my Father. To be in His constant thought and care. He will never forget me. He doesn't ever want to forget me. I am His and He is mine.

In Love,
Caitlin

Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones. But Zion said, "The Lord has forsaken m, the Lord has forgotten me." "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See! I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.Your sons hasten back, and those who laid you waste depart from you. Lift up your eyes and look around; all your sons gather and come to you. As surely as I live," declares the Lord, "you will wear them all as ornaments; you will put them on, like a bride..." -Isaiah 49:13-18

No comments:

Post a Comment