Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Kent Starbucks is unlike any other Starbucks in the world. I'm actually not totally sure that's true, but I would bet good money on it. Because other than the menu and the logo on the window, there are very few indications that it is an actual Starbucks. There is not a single photo of coffee sacks or people collecting beans in tropical locations. In, fact all the art on the walls is created by local artists and photographers. The building also resembles that of the lodge Gaston threw Maurice out of in Beauty and the Beast...so there's that too. Basically, I actually really love it here.



Not that I have anything against Starbucks, because I don't. My mom is all about Giant Eagle fuelperks which means I generally have a giftcard to Starbucks, which I load into my Starbucks app, which earns me stars, which earns me free drinks. And I like free.

I only have a few drinks that I ever order (iced chai with soy, vanilla spice latte, green tea latte)...and I never get black coffee. I mean, if we're honest, Starbucks has mixed drinks down, but their coffee is just so-so. If I want plain coffee I venture to a different location (or these days, my own kitchen because that is fairly close to free.)

Kent has three main coffee shops. Starbucks, Tree City, and Scribbles. I frequent all three based on my expectations for the day. Starbucks if I have a gift card and there is parking (and seating). You have to take advantage of an opportunity like that. Tree City is generally where I meet up with people. Tree City is the hippest, plays the best music, and has the best breakfast sandwiches. Scribbles is where I go when I just want plain coffee and a table I can color on. Also, Scribbles provides the lowest chance of actually running into someone I know so it was usually the best option when I was still in school and had work to get done. You would think it would be a complicated process being a regular at three separate coffee shops, but its really not. I just can't pick a favorite.

There is one other reason I go to the Kent Starbucks though. It is one of my favorite places to have an extended quiet time. I am an introvert who loves being around people. I  tend to be more distracted by a super quiet room than a room filled with the hustle and bustle of people going about their days.

I am currently seated on the second floor  in one of the dormers. To my left is the balcony where I can look down at the barista working at get all the drinks made and to my right is a window looking out over a main street in Kent. I relish these moments when I am surrounded by people, but not expected to give out anything. After a couple full weeks of meeting with staff and students, leading Bible study, and discipleship, I am spent. I love having this time to recharge and allow the Lord to fill my bucket back up so I can pour it out onto others. I don't do this enough.

I am still learning about this balance of pouring out and filling up. I am all still figuring out what it is that is actually life-giving to me. Even if I have a quiet time every single day, I can still reach a point of feeling like I am drained. Of course, I need God's word to keep going, but I can't forget this is a relationship...a relationship that is not just about a series of disciplines. Jesus wants to go on a whimsical adventure with me! (I stole this from Bob Goff.)

When do I feel Jesus most? How can I feel the presence of Jesus in every moment of my day? These are questions I have been thinking on.

Now that the weather is starting to get a little nicer, I am excited to start running and hiking again. I feel Jesus in nature. Some of my best times of prayer, of listening, have come while jogging through one of the Metro Parks. I feel Jesus in music; when I sing...and not just in public. Last night it was late, after midnight, and I could not fall asleep. My mind was restless. I got in my car and drove to Akron and back twice, singing the whole time. I came home feeling peaceful and fell asleep right away. I feel Jesus when I write. I feel Jesus when I am baking for someone. When I am designing someone's wedding invitations or taking someone's senior pictures. I feel Jesus when I am playing football with my seven year-old-brother or getting frozen yogurt with my teenage sister.

What I am learning, is that I feel Jesus' presence most when I am doing that things that He has gifted me  to do.

The verses I am currently working on committing to memory are 1 Corinthians 1:5-9. "For in him you have been enriched in every way –in all your speaking and in all your knowledge– because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack an spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful."

There verse contains so many truths that I need to sink deep  into my heart.

I am a testimony to Christ.
I do not lack anything.
I am strong in Him.
I am blameless in His eyes.
I have been called into fellowship with Christ.
God is faithful.

And this is not true just for me.  This is true for every single person who has accepted Christ as Lord. So awesome. God is faithful to each and every one of us.

Ok so if you haven't followed these scattered thoughts thus far, and I don't blame you, basically know that I spend a lot of time thinking about coffee, I really like singing, and God is faithful.

I blog because I really like writing. My last semester of college I took a class about reviewing television shows. It was for journalism majors, but it was SO FUN. We would watch a tv show, usually one that wasn't released yet, and then had to come back with a review of it for the next class. That class is probably how I made it through my last semester. I often forget how much I like writing and how much it helps me process what I am thinking. I don't expect anyone to actually read all these posts, but it's kind of cool that you guys do :)

So...sorry for this kind of rambling Saturday afternoon post. I now intend to read some Mother Teresa goodness and make a CD for a student I meet with. Because sharing music with others is another way I feel Jesus. Mama T talks alot about feeling Jesus' presence in every moment of every day, even the pain and disappointment. I'm getting there :)

Where do you feel Jesus? What do you find to be life-giving?

Enjoy this beautiful Saturday! I hope it is as sunny as it is here wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment